Anybody who is considering buying an iPad or iPhone from a second-hand retailer must learn how to iCloud Check the Activation lock status by official Apple Checker service. You are probably familiar with this option and its functions and how well it protects the Apple device once it is activated. The user is able thru this feature to track down his lost or stolen device, and if necessary to prevent data leakage by remotely disabling the device, or even going as extreme to delete all the stored contents on the gadget,
If you activate the security feature no one will be able to access the Apple device without providing the correct Apple ID and password, which were initially used to activate the Find my iPhone feature.
Known issues with second hand Apple devices
There is a small problem which many users who have bought second-hand Apple devices have experienced. In case the previous owner somehow forgets to unlink the iPhone with his Apple ID, and if this particular device gets reset, the new owner will have to enter the Apple ID of the first owner. This may sound simple, but in many cases, the users do not stay in touch with the retailers, and the iPhone device gets locked and is rendered useless.
In order to prevent this from happening, it is highly recommended that you check the iCloud Activation status on the gadget prior you make the purchase.
Useful features of the iCloud Activation option
- If this option is activated, no stranger can use the gadget without the proper Apple ID or password.
- It is possible to erase all data on the device from a remote computer or smartphone, in case your iPhone gets stolen or lost.
- You can easily reactivate the iOS device by using your Apple login credentials which you first used to activate the Find my iPhone feature.
If you own several Apple devices and you use the same Apple ID on all of them, then you are entitled to use the iCloud Activation lock feature. Still, before you can use it, it will be necessary that you manually activate it. And this feature can be used not only on the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch but on the Apple Watch as well.
How to enable the iCloud Activation lock on an Apple device
You can enable the iCloud Activation lock feature by activating the Find my iPhone option. You can also disable this option using a legit credential pair, which will also disable the Activation Lock as well.
You can enable or disable this feature from the on-device application, or from the web interface available on www.icloud.com.
And if you link your Apple Watch with the iPhone during this process, the activation lock status will also be adjusted on the Apple Watch too—it will be enabled or disabled accordingly.
The iCloud Activation Lock feature works on Apple gadgets which run any iOS version, while for the Apple Watch, the OS version needs to be 2 or higher.
- Follow these steps to check the status of your iOS device for iCloud Checking.
- From your web browser navigate to this link icloud.com/activationlock.
- When prompted, enter the IMEI code of your device to see the iCloud Check status on your Apple Device.
- Type in the verification code from the captcha bellow the IMEI code.
- Press the Continue button, and on the next screen, you will be shown the activation lock status on your device.
All in all, we can conclude that it is necessary to check the iCloud activation status and to disable it before we pass on our device to a new user. Even though the Activation lock is highly efficient security feature which may protect your device from unauthorized use, it is always necessary that you use this feature with caution and to disable it when you no longer intend to use the device.
Once you provide your valid credentials, you will be shown a simple overview of the Activation lock status. Besides the info about the lock status, info about the model of the device will also be provided.
If you already own an iCloud locked device, then feel free to check our official iCloud Lock removal service.